Hypodermic needles and other medical “sharps” pose a significant health threat to recycling and sanitation workers and should NEVER be put in your curbside or drop-off recycling container.
- The safest option is to use an FDA-cleared sharps container to protect your family members, health workers, and sanitation workers prior to disposing of sharps. These containers are widely available at pharmacies and other retail stores.
- If an FDA-cleared container is not available, Nationwide Children’s Hospital has helpful instructions about alternatives that can be used.
- Several publicly available drop-off locations are available in central Ohio and can be located using the search button below.
HELPFUL WEB SITES
- Columbus Public Health Safe Needle Disposal
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Sharps Containers at Home
- FDA Safe Sharps